Occurring between the ages of 45 and 55 in most women, menopause brings with it its own set of gains and pains. The only real advantage to menopause is, as the term implies, is a permanent stopper on a woman’s often vexing and painful monthly menstruation cycles, which bring with them multiple inconveniences such as headaches, irritability, and nausea. However, that’s where the advantages stop. On the downside, menopause marks the onset of a stage of life characterized by moodiness, hot flushes, insomnia and vaginal dryness. To make things worse, estrogen and progesterone levels go down and risk of heart disease and osteoporosis dramatically go up. Menopause or no menopause, it seems like a woman can never catch a break! Often, unbearable frustration leads women to spend exorbitant sums of money on over-the-counter cures, but perhaps it’s time we started looking somewhere else. Herbal remedies for menopause can be just as, if not more, effective than over-the-counter drugs, and cheaper to boot. Herbs that contain phytoestrogen mimic the effects of estrogen and help relieve menopausal pains. Here are some DIY herbal remedies to get you started:
1. Licorice (glycyrrhiza glabra): This plant, native to southern Asia and Europe, has roots from which a sweet flavor can be extracted. Due to its natural sweetness, it is used widely as a cooking ingredient, but also has a number of medicinal uses, including alleviating hot flushes caused by menopause because its phytoestrogens and saponins mimic the effect of estrogen in older women. Research shows that 80 percent of women who took licorice pills regularly for over a year experienced reduced hot flushes and better sleep, and in addition, 33-50% experienced reduced levels of bone turnover. It seems like licorice might be really be a viable alternative to HRT for women in a few years, but it remains unavailable in tablet form for now. It is unlikely that eating it as a sweet, rather than a concentrated supplement, will be effective. However, taking it as an extract just might help. Here’s how to make licorice tea:
- Boil 1 cup of hot water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of licorice root extra.
- Let it steep for around 10-20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with taste enhancers such as lemon or honey.
The general recommended dose is 1 cup of licorice tea from 1 teaspoon licorice root 2 times day for up to 4 weeks.
Precautions: Individuals with high blood pressure should avoid licorice root in any form.
2. Flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum): Native to the regions from the eastern Mediterranean to Indian, these charming brown seeds have a number of uses. They can be used as nutritional supplement and edible oil, and flax fibers are used to make linen. Moreover, flax fibers also contains the magical lignan, which act as a phytoestrogen and can bring about less frequent hot flashes in women undergoing menopause. Experts have said that it is the equivalent of soybean in effectiveness – women in Asian cultures who take liberal amounts of soybean products such as tofu or tempeh tend to suffer less from menopausal symptoms than women in other cultures. A daily dose of 2 tablespoons is recommended. Grind a handful of flaxseed with a coffee grinder and add it to oatmeal of pancake to get a nutty flavor. I’d advise strongly against buying commercial flaxseed oil as it distils out the fiber and most of the lignans.
Bioflavonoids, chemicals found in a number of fruits rich in vitamin C, can also reduce hot flashes.
Different symptoms of menopause need different cures. If you have trouble sleeping, a cup of valerian or chamomile tea should help you out. For vaginal dryness, there are a range of options, such as Vitamin A and E, calendula, and Aloe Vera. 80 milligrams of black cahosh extract per day can significantly alleviate hot flushes, as can 3-4 grams of Chinese angelica or dong quai. While HRT remains the most viable option, for women who want to go natural, nature provides a plethora of options. While herbal remedies are relatively safe, a combination of herbal remedies taken simultaneously may cause problems. Be sure to consult with your doctor before starting on an herbal relief regime for menopause.
Drink THIS Green Powder Every Morning (It Will Be The Best Decision You Ever Make!)
- Having more energy than you thought possible
- Not being so dang hungry all the time
- Feeling strong
- Sleeping like a baby
- Finally shifting that stubborn fat
It cleanses your body from the inside out... detoxifying... de-stressing... naturally and effortlessly melting away stubborn layers of fat. Just stir a spoonful into a glass of water in the morning and experience the best health ever!