For one reason or another some household chores are just more appealing than others. No matter how much you hate housework, you have to admit; you would gladly fold laundry, do dishes or vacuum the entire house rather than clean the oven.
The oven is a dark, secret place that few people ever actually see in your home. Because it is not very visible, it is so easy to ignore the grime that is building up in there week after week, meal after meal. The old saying, “Out of sight, out of mind,” is never truer than when we are talking about our oven.
The sad thing is that once you have worked up the nerve to take on that oven, it is easy to shut that oven door again when you actually take a look at the chemicals inside most oven cleaning products. The majority of oven cleaners contain some of the harshest cleaning chemicals on the market right now.
The added treat is that after you endure the fumes and chemical exposure, the residue remains in your oven being baked into every dish you make for weeks later. It almost makes a grimy oven justifiable. Happily there is a balance between grime filled appliances and hazardous chemical zone!
You can create a highly effective, all natural oven cleaner with stuff right from your cabinet. Before beginning make sure you have 6-8 hours to allow the cleaner to sit. It is best to plan to let it sit overnight.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup liquid soap
- 1 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
1. Combine ingredients with just enough water to create a paintable paste.
2. Remove all racks from your oven.
3. Take a small brush, such as a basting brush or pastry brush, and cover the inside of your oven with the paste.
4. Close up your oven and allow the paste to sit. In the morning take a bowl of clean water and a sponge and begin to wipe the grime right out of your oven.
5. You may need to replace clean water in your bowl until all the grime has magically been wiped away.