It is sad how a healthy and simple ingredient such as gelatin has become adulterated and artificial, thanks to certain manufacturers who decided to tweak the healthiness out of it in attempt to make gelatin more attractive to consumer. Only if they could figure out a way to market it as it is, consumers would be more informed about the benefits of this super-food and actually give it a more serious consideration.
Let us back up a little. What is gelatin? It is a translucent and flavorless substance that is obtained by processing collagen extracted from animal hides, bones, and connective tissues. Collagen is a fibrous protein that accounts for 33% of the proteins found in the human body. Ever wondered why our joints start to ache and skin starts to get wrinkles as we age? The truth is our body produces less and less amounts of collagen as time passes by. This, however, is not the only important reason for us to incorporate gelatin in our routine diet. Its significance becomes more apparent when we know that gelatin contains 18 amino acids, half of which are considered essential for our survival; they cannot be generated by our bodies!
Health Benefits of Gelatin
Let us take a closer look at some of the health benefits of consuming gelatin:
1. More protein for your body: Gelatin is a great source of protein. Although it does not cover the total daily requirement, it is a great supplement to other protein sources and adding it in our foods definitely helps to boost our protein intake without the need for really eating extra. Thus, it also helps to save some calories indirectly. Moreover, this works as a good substitution of the many protein powders that people like to take as supplements.
2. Helps with digestion: Gelatin has the ability to help the food we consume move better through the digestive system. Moreover, it also has the ability to cure our digestive disorders up to an extent by healing the lining of the stomach.
3. Improve metabolism: Gelatin, with its ability to improve digestion, helps increase the rate of metabolism.
4. Heal injuries faster: Glycine, one of the 18 amino acids found in gelatin, helps to heal wounds quicker because of its anti-inflammatory qualities.
5. A helping hand for the liver: Glycine also helps the liver in removing unwanted and harmful toxins from our systems. This is particularly helpful for those who are currently taking artificial supplements for the purpose. Now, you have a natural solution.
6. Cure certain food intolerances: Food allergies are often a result of a “damaged” digestive tract. Since gelatin has a healing effect on our stomach, it may act as a remedy that could cure certain food allergies.
7. Get better skin: Collagen improves the elasticity of the body’s connective tissues so that they can stretch more. In other words, it acts as a supplement to improve your skin quality. Get that anti-aging treatment you were dreaming of!
8. Take care of your bones and joints: The amino acids present in gelatin are helpful in preventing many joint-related problems. Plus, given its anti-inflammatory quality, it also helps people suffering from arthritis.
9. Get better hair: Consistent intake of gelatin is linked with stronger and shinier hair.
10. Stronger nails and teeth: Gelatin also makes your nails and teeth stronger, while improving their growth rate as well.
11. Improve your brain’s health: Consumption of glycine is linked with better sleep at night and less drowsiness during the day which helps to improve the cognitive functions of the brain.
How to Consume Gelatin:
Gelatin can be consumed in many ways. It can be mixed with liquids before drinking; 1 tablespoon per glass and 2 glasses every day. A nutritious way of consuming gelatin is to add it in your homemade bone broth that can be consumed a few times every day. Gelatin can also be added to soups, cereals, coffee, and desserts besides other foods.
Where to Find Gelatin:
You can usually find unflavored and unadulterated gelatin at the grocery store. But do make sure it is what it says and also that whether it is responsibly sourced. Try to avoid the colored and preservative-rich ones that they usually try to sell (often used to make jello).
Drink THIS Green Powder Every Morning (It Will Be The Best Decision You Ever Make!)
- Having more energy than you thought possible
- Not being so dang hungry all the time
- Feeling strong
- Sleeping like a baby
- Finally shifting that stubborn fat
It cleanses your body from the inside out... detoxifying... de-stressing... naturally and effortlessly melting away stubborn layers of fat. Just stir a spoonful into a glass of water in the morning and experience the best health ever!