One of the best things about summer is all of the great produce either being grown in your own home garden or available at your local farmer’s market.
Of course you can buy strawberries at your local grocery store all year long, but we all know that a carton of strawberries purchased at the store in January taste nothing like a strawberry picked up locally and grown in season.
Eating strawberries raw is a real treat, but it is also fun to come up with creative new ways to prolong that enjoyment of fresh fruits. One way that people have been enjoying their produce all year long is through preserving.
Often people get stuck in a rut with their recipes and ideas of how to preserve and what can be preserved. Many recipes for preserves have been handed down from generation to generation and people do not want to stray from the way grandma did it.
Below you will find a fun, new recipe that maybe your grandmother never heard of. But who says you can’t start your own tradition?
Strawberry Kiwi Jam is a great way to incorporate everyone’s favorite summer produce: strawberries. This is a relatively simple recipe that does use pectin.
You will need:
3 cups of strawberries crushed
3 whole kiwi diced
1 Tbs juice of lemon
1 Tbs crystalized ginger
1 entire package of pectin powder
5 cups of granulated sugar
It is recommended that you use a boiling water canner. You should be very familiar with the instructions and safety measures of your canner before attempting any preservation project.
1. Begin by washing 6 half pint jars and keep them warm as you cook the jam ingredients.
2. Combine ginger, lemon juice, kiwi, strawberries and pectin in a large pot.
3. Bring this to a boil stirring often. Then add your sugar stirring slowly. Allow to boil for one more minute stirring the entire time.
4. Take the pot from the heat. Begin to spoon the jam mixture into your warm jars allowing ¼ inch space at the top.
5.Clean the rims, place the lids and then continue to process in your water boiling canner according to manufacturer’s instructions. This recipe should yield about 6 half pint jars.
Drink THIS Green Powder Every Morning (It Will Be The Best Decision You Ever Make!)
- Having more energy than you thought possible
- Not being so dang hungry all the time
- Feeling strong
- Sleeping like a baby
- Finally shifting that stubborn fat
It cleanses your body from the inside out... detoxifying... de-stressing... naturally and effortlessly melting away stubborn layers of fat. Just stir a spoonful into a glass of water in the morning and experience the best health ever!